6/22/10

Lemon Bars

I like dessert.
I like sugar.
I like sweet things.

I also like my mother-in-law. Can you believe it?
Her name is Rhoda. 
She ALSO likes dessert and sugar and sweet things.
We get along great.

She makes great desserts.
She makes cheesecakes and pies and cookies and puddings on a regular basis...
and Lemon Bars.

They're delicious.
And oh so simple.
You'll see.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.


First we start with the crust.
1 cup of butter (which I softened), 1/2 cup powdered sugar, and 2 cups of flour.



 Add a dash of salt and mix the above mentioned ingredients with a fork.



Rhoda did advise me of a slight alteration she made to her recipe, "By the way, it's not in the recipe, but I add a little vanilla to the crust. I just think it makes it taste even better."  Good call Rhoda. So, it's up to you. Add it in, or leave it out.



Keep mixing...


Perfect. You want the crust to be nice and crumbly.



Press the crust mixture into a slightly greased 9X13 dish and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.



Now for the filling. 4 eggs, 2 cups of sugar, 4 tablespoons of flour, 6-8 tablespoons of lemon juice, and a dash of salt. Mixed the flour, sugar, and salt together. Beat up the eggs in a separate bowl.



Mix the eggs with the flour/sugar/salt mixture.



Again, Rhoda let me in on a little tip, "..and I add a little vanilla to the filling also." Thanks again, Rhoda.



Add the lemon juice. 6-8 tablespoons. I added 7. I don't like my lemon bars super tart. You can add less or even more than 8 tablespoons. I admire you, 8+ tablespooners.





 

By now, the crust should be done cooking. No need to let it cool. You're just going to put it right back into the oven. Pour the filling mixture on top of the crust.  Make sure the filling layer is even and pop that puppy back into the oven at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes, or until the edges turn a nice golden brown.



Sprinkle with powdered sugar and....



Eat three or four, right then and there.



Here's the recipe for your copying and pasting pleasure:

Lemon Bars
Crust:
1 cup butter
1/2 cup powdered sugar
2 cups flour
dash of salt

Filling:
4 eggs
2 cups of sugar
6-8 tablespoons lemon juice
dash of salt
4 tablespoons flour

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Crust: Soften butter. Mix all crust ingredients (plus a dash of vanilla extract) together with a fork til crumbly. Press the crust mixture into a slightly greased 9X13 dish and bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees.
 Filling: Mixed the flour, sugar, and salt together. Beat up the eggs in a separate bowl. Mix the eggs with the flour/sugar/salt mixture and add a dash of vanilla. Add 6-8 table spoons of lemon juice. Pour the filling mixture on top of the crust.  Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees, or until the edges turn a nice golden brown.



I'm SURE I have a sweet TOOTH, but is there such a thing as sweet TEETH?? I mean, seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment